You don't have to understand the world. You just have to find your own way around in it. - Albert Einstein

Saturday, 16 June 2012

Good Morning Sunshine!, and No Milk Today

I like to go outside and say good morning to the garden soon after I get up and have a cup of tea (that which becometh Before All Else).

Good morning, dawn sky.


Good morning, little yellow-orange sunshiny flowers.


The rays of the sun reach the tallest limbs before they climb down into the garden.


This is the Possum Hilton tree. I'll be damned if I can work out where a whole family of possums hide in there during the stark winter days. Wally should take a lesson from these possums.




An autumn treasure - two gorgeous little orange surprise mushrooms growing among the thyme bush. I do love the strange and wonderful world of fungus.


I'm also starting to grow a nettle forest in this one little patch. I'm imagining a pot of nettle soup, with potatoes and pumpkin. 


I'm still not sure how they got here. I noticed these distinctive-looking weeds starting to pop up a little while ago, just in one patch in the middle of the backyard. Some part of my brain thought they looked like stinging nettles, but another part of my brain couldn't come up with an explanation for how such a plant should have appeared in my yard. They haven't been here before. I can't even think of anywhere near here at all where I've ever seen them before. So I just plucked a few like I would any regular weed. Within about twenty seconds the identity of the stinging nettle was confirmed.


There was a surprise of a different nature out the front of the house. For a few years now, I've been getting milk, dairy and some other products, such as free-range pork, fruit and veg, or bread, delivered by Aussie Farmers Direct. They have provided an excellent service, and it was a godsend in the days when even getting to the shops and home again with shopping was often practically Mission Impossible. I love the philosophy and aims of the company, and I've been happy to support them. Deliveries come on Wednesday and Saturday mornings in the wee hours, and are waiting on the doorstep when we get up in the morning. Just like in the old days. Isn't that awesome?

Only this morning, someone was up earlier than us, and all we found on the doorstep was an empty bucket in which I had left out the cooler bag the night before. No milk today!


This was probably likely to happen at some point anyway, what with leaving groceries unattended on one's front doorstep not being a very security-conscious thing to do in modern times. But yes, of course it's disappointing when it happens. At first I imagined some drunken lout stumbling home from a Friday night on the town and helping himself. A little later it occurred to me that a homeless person might have taken it.

On reflection, I think this is the most likely explanation. There is a park just 25m or so away in which homeless people often sleep. They don't usually cause any trouble. But you know what, it was really particularly cold last night, so they would have been feeling pretty miserable and needy. And there was really no negative energy out there on the doorstep with the empty bucket, and no sense of violation in losing our milk. No use crying over stolen milk, either, apparently. It seems to fit that it was taken by someone who really needed it, and I reckon good on 'em. We hadn't even actually run out of milk yet anyway, so we weren't even inconvenienced by the need for a milk bar run in order to make morning cuppas. I really hope that milk and cheese and butter is helping someone feel a bit better today.

I know that it's bloody rough out there during the winter. I'm thankful for my blessings. Pondering such matters, I thought of the Vinnie's CEO Sleepout that is coming up soon on June 21 this year in Melbourne. This is my favourite fundraiser idea for the charities who support homeless people - in this case St. Vinnie's. This is people really putting their money where their mouths are. It might only be for one night of the year, but it is a long, dark, cold night, even if not a particularly dangerous one, and I feel that it's a meaningful and sincere gesture on the part of the financially advantaged individuals who take part. Hats off to all involved.

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes fairies mistake unguarded milk as an offering, so either way someone was happy!

    And out of curiosity, you get milk and butter delivered? To your porch?
    I ran out of milk this morning and before I even got out of bed I knew I would have to go to the store to get my precious south mountain goat milk. I cannot abide earl grey without it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's right. It's delivered by a mysterious superhero who can get out of his truck, wrangle 12kg of groceries onto our very-creaky-old-floorboard verandah in the dead quiet of night and be on his way without making a sound. We call him the Ninja Milkman. Even if we sit up and try to listen for him, we don't hear anything, but the food is there in the morning. It's just like magic. And they don't just do milk and bread, they deliver pretty much anything up to ready-made pies and lasagnas. One could just stay home and never have to go out shopping. The prices are a little bit higher than the shops but only by what is reasonable for the service they provide. Only I don't think they'd be able to help you with 'precious south mountain goat milk,' even if you did live in their delivery area.

      Delete
  2. I am just tickled pink at the idea of any of my groceries appearing like that!
    My special goat milk is only produced in the summer anyway, the South Mountain Dairy that milks the goats, refuses to milk during the winter to "give the girls a break" so all summer long I gorge on it then I am back to the almond milk!

    Pies and lasagna, wow! I am tipping my hat to your wonderful Ninja Milkman, superhero does seem like the correct term!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have suspected some faerie intervention, only I don't think that the faeries have started billing people for their services on credit cards! Yep, it must be a superhero.

      Delete
    2. Oh, no, faeries do indeed occasionally bill people for their services on credit cards. We also accept PayPal and direct deposit.

      Delete